This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for your support!
For quite some time now, I’ve been fascinated by the Capsule Wardrobe concept.
Ever heard of it? In a nutshell, a capsule wardrobe is a certain set of very intentionally chosen pieces of clothing, shoes and accessories that you mix and match in various ways for a certain period of time. The benefits behind using a capsule wardrobe include:
- Save time getting ready in the morning! When you know that you can’t go wrong mixing any of the tops in your closet with any of the bottoms, getting dressed becomes a creative time instead of a stressful one.
- Save money by only very thoughtfully purchasing only a few items per season to complement what you already have and love in your closet.
- Feel fabulous every day! By curating a smaller wardrobe, you can include clothes and accessories that truly speak to you and bring you joy.
- Nothing gets lost in the back of your closet! You know what you have to work with, and if a piece of clothing no longer fits, or no longer fits your needs, you can donate it promptly.
I first learned about capsule wardrobes from a fellow blogger, Leanne at Classy Yet Trendy. She literally wrote the book (actually many books!) on the topic and I highly recommend you check out her blog and her e-book store! Ladies, Leanne knows her stuff! Click on these images to learn more!
There are tons of different ways to approach creating a capsule wardrobe, but here’s one example:
- Choose to use either black or navy as your base color. (This tip is straight from Classy Yet Trendy.) Usually, clothes go best with one or the other. Choose just one.
- Select coordinating neutral (black, white, gray, navy, cream, skin toned) tops and bottoms. You may end up with about 5 skirts, pants, or shorts; 5 tops, sweaters or cardigans; and 2-3 dresses.
- If you’d like, add a total of 3-4 patterned and/or accent (not neutral) colored pieces.
- Add a set number of shoes, purses, bags and outwear that complement your lifestyle and mesh well with your clothing pieces.
- Set aside or pack away all the remaining clothes in your closet and drawers. Commit to use only the capsule for the next 30, 60 or 90 days. Enjoy the room in your closet, and the gratefulness you get from using what you’ve mindfully chosen!
That being said, I’d like to think I already have a very pared-down wardrobe. I’ve written about how to Shop Your Own Closet here, and about How to Be a Frugal Fashionista here. And I like to keep my clothing choices classy, but functional. Read about Where To Buy Modest Fashion here. I don’t like to have a lot of excess in my closet, and I don’t do well with Mental Clutter. But I’ve never had a bonafide capsule wardrobe. Until now!
For the next 10 days, I will be participating in a wardrobe challenge to kick off the capsule wardrobe plan! I’ve chosen 10 pieces of clothing to be mixed and matched in various combinations for the next 10 days straight, thus the name: “10 x 10 Capsule Wardrobe Challenge.”
Over the course of the next 10 days, I anticipate:
Working in a business casual office
Working from home
Housework and laundry
Going for walks
Attending Sunday morning (a little nicer) and Wednesday evening (a little more casual) church services and activities
Shopping with my teenage daughter
Going on a coffee date with with husband
Attending a baby shower
Yes. With only 10 pieces of clothing. (I will add shoes and accessories sparingly.) Oh, and I’m not buying anything new for this challenge. I’ll be using only pieces that I already have in my closet.
Here are my 10 pieces of clothing for the next 10 days:
Solid orange-red jersey dress similar
Solid navy shirt dress similar
Patterned summer dress similar
Lightweight black cardigan similar
White V-neck tee shirt similar
Navy textured tee shirt similar
Yellow and white striped 3/4 sleeved tee similar
Floral pencil skirt similar
Dark wash jean skirt similar
One tip I would recommend is even when you’re selecting solid colored tops or bottoms, remember you can throw in some texture!
Accounting My Blessings also has a Capsule Wardrobe Pinterest Board!
“Of course, there is great gain in godliness combined with contentment; for we brought nothing into the world, so that we can take nothing out of it; but if we have food and clothing, we will be content with these.” 1 Timothy 6:6-8
Gracia y paz,
P.S. If you haven’t checked out my FREE digital resource, “Pull Yourself Together, Mama! 5 Ways to Look (and Feel!) Polished Under Pressure,” please do! Inside, I offer straightforward solutions to help you refocus your thinking, so that you can be the BEST wife and mom ever!
- Nurture Your Core Values!
- Keep It Simple!
- Less Is More!
- Learn to Let It Go!
- It’s All About That Grace!